Founded in San Francisco in 1920 by George F. Wells, the Wells Manufacturing Company produced electric cooking equipment products.
In 1925 George Wells invented and patented a new waffle baker-a move that launched his company into the commercial appliance industry. Wells Mfg. also invented what is known today as a Hot Food Well, and that is why they are called ‘wells’ and today it is a generic name for this type product regardless on the manufacturer. Another Wells innovation was an electric deep-fat fryer.
The firm relocated to a new factory to Verdi, Nevada in 1968, and was later purchased by Beatrice Foods Company. In 1985 it became part of the Chicago-based Specialty Equipment Companies, Inc. and later was owned by the Carrier Corporation.
Then in 2008 Wells was purchased by the Middleby Corporation.
The Middleby Corporation relocated the manufacturing operation in 2009 to a state-of-the art facility in Smithville, Tennessee. Smithville in located about an hour’s drive east of Nashville. The Smithville facility features over 200,000 square feet of manufacturing and another 85,000 square feet of warehouse stocked with finished goods. It employees 274 workers; including 246 hourly personal and another 28 salaried staff.